• 11 rounds of military talks between India and China have met with limited success, but so far the only disengagement of front-line troops and weapons has been in the Pangong Tso sector in February.

The talks on the border dispute between India and China have now completed a year. Last year, during the Corona epidemic, on May 5, there was a standoff between the armies of India and China in eastern Ladakh. It was the first time in 45 years that soldiers from both sides were killed during the standoff. Though limited progress has been made on the withdrawal of troops from the Pangong Lake area, talks remain deadlocked on taking similar steps at other points of the confrontation.

Despite the withdrawal of some troops between India and China in Ladakh, tension on the border still persists. There were 11 rounds of talks between top military commanders but a complete solution has not been reached so far.

On 9 April, the 11th Commander Level meeting lasted for about 13 hours at Chushul BPM-Hut in eastern Ladakh on the LAC. Both sides had detailed discussions to resolve the remaining issues related to the disengagement of the LAC in Eastern Ladakh. After the meeting, the Defense Ministry issued a statement saying that both the countries have agreed to jointly maintain stability on the ground, avoid any new incidents and jointly maintain peace in the border areas.

Controversy still continues over some areas
After the 9th visit meeting on 24 January this year, both India-China countries have done disengagement from the areas adjacent to Pangong Tso Lake, but there is still a complete de-escalation along with disengagement in some disputed areas. . Talks are going on between the military commanders of both the countries on this issue.

The agenda of the 11th round of meetings was disengagement and de-escalation i.e. the soldiers of both the countries should withdraw from the LAC and the number of soldiers should also be reduced. This disengagement is to be done in disputed areas like Gogra, Hot-Spring, Depsang Plains and Demochak. According to an estimate, about 50,000 to 60,000 soldiers are still deployed by both countries on the 826-km-long Line of Actual Control (LAC) adjacent to eastern Ladakh.

Indian army on high alert
On May 28, Army Chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane said that his troops were on high alert as the PLA continued to deploy its troops and tanks in the depth areas across the LAC. From where they could be deployed in further areas in less time. Former Northern Army Commander Lt Gen DS Hooda (Retd) said that the Corps Commanders’ meetings have had mixed results as they were successful in negotiating the disengagement in the Pangong Tso area, but no further progress has been made.

DS Hooda said that we saw before the ninth round of military talks, where both sides worked out the modalities to break away from Pangong Tso. He said that there is a need to resolve the dispute together with both the countries.

‘India cautious about Depsang struggle’
General MM Naravane had said on 28 May that patrolling activity of the Indian Army in Hot Springs and Gogra has been affected. At the same time, the deployment of PLA in Depsang has hindered the access of Indian troops to Patrolling Points (PP) 10, 11, 11-A, 12, and 13. Certainly Depsang’s problems predate the current border standoff. This is only the first phase of a broader, more comprehensive plan to establish a pre-April 2020 status. This will be followed by de-escalation and finally de-induction of forces. He had said that he would be cautious till now.

The most severe tension on the border ever
A report said that despite the withdrawal of some troops this year, tensions between China and India remain. The presence of Chinese forces in disputed border areas since May 2020 is the most serious tense situation in decades and has led to the first deadly border skirmish between the two countries since 1975. After several rounds of talks till February, the two countries have withdrawn armies and military equipment from some areas of the disputed border.

Deadlock persists for a year
It has been a full year since the confrontation between the two superpowers of Asia on the LAC. Last year i.e. on 5-6 April 2020, there was a clash between the two countries for the first time in the Finger area adjacent to the Pangong-Tso lake of the LAC. After that, on June 15-16, 20 Indian soldiers were martyred in a bloody skirmish between the soldiers of both the countries in Galwan Valley.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here